The granite sculpture by Max Bill is a key work by the Concrete artist. It stands in the middle of Zurich’s bustling Bahnhofstrasse.
The walk-in “Pavillon-Skulptur” (Pavilion Sculpture) stands in a prime location directly next to the Bahnhofstrasse. With its clear lines, the granite work counteracts the hustle and bustle of the busy street and radiates a feeling of peace and relaxation. The sculpture – which depending on the angle from which it is viewed can also appear very dynamic – is without doubt one of the better-known of Max Bill’s works.
The sculpture is made from 63 blocks of granite of exactly the same size (42 x 42 x 210 cm / 16.5 x 16.5 x 82.7 inches). The granite originated from a quarry in the Black Forest that has long been disused, thus making renovation work very difficult.
The “Pavillon-Skulptur” stands on the corner of Bahnhofstrasse/Pelikanstrasse, very close to Paradeplatz.
Max Bill (1907 – 1994) was born in Winterthur and made a name for himself as an artist, architect, painter, graphic designer, and sculptor. He belonged to the Zurich School of Concrete Artists, which in turn was inspired by Wassily Kandinsky and Paul Klee.